More pay and longer working hours

Did you know:  BGO: Work for longer hours and more pay offers escape from poverty.

It is hardly rocket-science but now there’s the data to prove that work is a major means of getting out of relative poverty.  And it’s a Blinding Glimpse of the Obvious that the level of pay and numbers of hours worked are likewise important.    Having a permanent or temporary work contract doesn’t matter much in the short-term – but it’s worth moving to a permanent contract to keep out of poverty long-term.  If work doesn’t make the difference straightaway, increasing hours and pay rates (even if that means moving jobs) is a good next step to escape poverty.

So if you want to get out and stay out of poverty:

  • Start working.
  • Work as many hours as you can (even if part-time).
  • Look for work that offers you longer hours, more pay and a permanent contract in the future and, if these don’t happen, be prepared to move to a job that does.

“In the UK, 8% of people in employment aged 18 to 64, were in relative income poverty in 2013, equivalent to around 3 million people.”  This was close to the level across the EU as a whole but about twice the percentage in some countries, such as Greece, and about half the percentage of others, such as Finland.

“By contrast, the poverty rate for those in the same age group and not working was 31%.”

Getting back to work is an important route out of poverty: “Over the period 2007 to 2012, of people aged 18 to 59 who were not working and living in a household in poverty, 70% of those who moved into employment left poverty. The other 30% remained in relative income poverty despite entering employment.”  And this is a better result than that for the EU as a whole where only about 50% of those getting in to work left relative poverty.  The UK ranks one of the best for work being a route out of poverty.

You can read more here

Penny Melville-Brown

Disability Dynamics ltd

Helping disabled people to work since 2000

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.